Abeer Abd Mohammed, Neurosurgery, Iran


When our patients arrive from Iraq, we, as the IPC Team, greet them and take their photographs. Abeer, who arrived with the 29th June group, was one of the patients that attracted most of my attention. He was seeming so unhappy that his suffering was very obvious. All the arriving patients had thrown some smile even very little, but Abeer had no signs of smile. I had taken this facial expression personally and I thought that he did not like me, which made me said. Abeer ABD Mohammed, who was born on 11 January 1970 in Iraq, is married and has five children. The life of Abeer, who engages in commerce with his spouse, attained a different course following his cranial MR scan in November 2011. In March 2012, he went to Iran and underwent his first surgery; but as the entire tumor was not removed during this surgery, he was sent to the Acibadem Bursa Hospital for radiotherapy treatment following the MR scan in April 2012 and the Bursa history of Abeer thus began.

The Bursa Days of Abeer As Abeer was sent for receiving radiotherapy, his first examination was made by our Radiation Oncologist Dr. Nihat Sözer and following another MR scan, he was sent to the Neurosurgery Department by our doctor. I participated in this consultation with our translators. I cannot forget Abeer’s face when following examinations and scans, our Neurosurgeon Prof. Dr. Hakkı Kaya Aksoy said that he had to undergo surgery again. Our physician explained all risks to Abeer and Abeer’s response was concise and net when asked about whether he accepted the second surgery: Do I have any other choice? I want to heal and I trust you.

abeer Our entire team was with Abeer before he entered surgery; we joked around a little, he began to laugh, he began to believe that he would heal. A young companion from the group he came with prayed until he entered surgery. We bade farewell to him until the end of surgery.

Mr. Kaya said that the surgery went well. When he regained consciousness the next day, his eyes were like saying: “I am now completely healed”. He in fact recuperated so rapidly that when I visited him at his room 3-4 days following the surgery, I found him at the hospital’s cafeteria.

When our doctor said after the surgery that radiotherapy was not required but a MR scan after 3 months will be necessary for control purposes, I understood that Abeer’s time for return had arrived.

A few days before his return, we arranged a iftar night at the hotel they were staying; we enjoyed ourselves as all UHM team, the radiotherapy team and patient & support services team alltogether, danced and took a few photographs. He seemed quite well when we took our last photograph at the hospital on his day of return to Iraq. Seeing him like that made me very happy and an ever unforgettable patient had thus entered my life.